Recent thefts from local establishments around Dinkytown
Over the last couple of weeks, the 2nd Precinct has identified a pattern of thefts from local entertainment establishments and restaurants in the Dinkytown area. In most of the recent incidents the suspect(s) description has been similar. The main item that has been stolen are cell phones, iPhone and Androids. Here are the most recent approaches used by the thief’s:
• The suspect(s) start up a conversation and within seconds grab the phone from the victim’s hand,
• They ask the victim if they can be added to the victim’s Snap and the phone is unlocked by the victim and given to the suspect to enter his information and the phone is taken
• The phones are on tables and as the victims are talking to others the phone is snatched off the table
• 1 – 4 x Black males, between 18-22, one of the males is heavy set and all the males are between 5’-8” to 6 feet tall.
Observe and Report - Call 911 if you witness any suspicious persons/activity as it is happening, and/or if you believe you are being followed.
The 2nd Precinct recommends the following:
• DO NOT unlock or give your phone to anyone
• Be aware of your surroundings and pay attention who is around you
• Staff and security should be looking for any suspicious people and behavior as they are performing their duties
• Do not set your phone down on a table and leave it unattended
• Try not to put your phone in your back pocket
Anyone with information is asked to call:
The Minneapolis Police Tip Line at 612-692-8477 or
Crime Stoppers of Minnesota
Submit a tip online at http://www.crimestoppersmn.org.
MPD issues a Crime Alert when we notice a crime pattern. The crime pattern may be specific to geographic area, a time period, or specific method of crime. To enroll in the MPD Crime Alert system,
To view crime maps and MPD dash boards which has information on police stops, arrest data, use of force information and other important information: https://www.minneapolismn.gov/resident-services/public-safety/police-public-safety/crime-maps-dashboards/.
To contact the 2nd Precinct’s Crime Prevention Specialists,
• (NE) Abdirashid Ali at 612-673-2874 or [email protected]
• (SE) Nicholas Juarez at O: 612-673-2797 – C: 612-475-4697 [email protected]